Things to Do in Koh Tao
Koh Tao isn’t all about the diving, although no trip here would be complete without a visit to the sub culture, naturally. There is a plethora of things to do here, so check out our guide to the best things to See, Do and Eat on Koh Tao.
- Explore the shallows with your snorkel: If you have a free afternoon, there are plenty of great places to go snorkelling. Shark Bay is good for seeing Black-tip reef sharks (south Koh Tao). Hin Wong bay offers many boulders to explore & Mango Bay is also a good choice.
- Check out Koh Nang Yuan: Take a taxi boat from Sairee beach (around 400 baht per person there and back) and see Koh Nanguan. This is a stunning island to see and well worth a visit. Good snorkeling is available, and there is a small restaurant.
- Catch a katoey show at the Queens Cabaret.
- Watch (or train) at Muay Thai: Located in Sairee (up the road from the 7-11 at the main cross roads) at Monsoon Gym, the Muay Thai takes place every two week. You will know when the next date is due to a loud speaker that drives around the day before……very annoying! It starts at around 9pm, costs 500 Baht, and is well worth a visit. If you’re desperate to find out when the next fight date is inquire at the Monsoon Gym. You can also train there very affordably.
- Rock Climbing, Cliff Jumping, Abseiling, oh my! Goodtime Adventures offers courses in all of these activities, which is a fantastic way to see a different side to the island.
- Take a hike to one of the islands many viewpoints: Laem Thien, Mango Bay, Fraggle Rock….
- Get your WOD on at Koh Tao CrossFit: Located in Sairee, opposite Asia Divers, Koh Tao CrossFit (KTC) is the latest fitness craze to hit the island. The friendly, community training environment, combined with the effective workout sessions is producing amazing results. If you have some time on the island and want to give it a go…just drop in. www.kohtaocrossfit.com
- Join the legendary Pub Crawl: This happens ever Monday, Wednesday & Friday in Sairee.
- Get a Thai tattoo: Thai Art (located at the top of the ‘up road’ in Mae Haad) is one of the best tattoo artists in South East Asia. So if you want a long lasting memento of your time spent in Thailand….give it a go. FYI: you shouldn’t dive for at least a week after a tattoo. However if you get a bamboo tattoo the recovery time is less, and you can get back into the water sooner.
- Join the circus at the Flying Trapeze!
Relaxing drinks: Go to Fizz for great sunset cocktails, Beer Masons offer a huge variety of imported beers (located on the new walking street), or visit our very own VICTORS BAR (located at Roctopus Dive)
Party Venues – There are three main places to go for the party animals, Bar Next 2, Fishbowl, and Lotus Bar
Places to Eat – Apart from the numerous great Thai restaurants (Mint Kitchen being one of the best) located on Koh Tao, there are many other fantastic choices. Barracuda (find dining at a very reasonable price), Porta Bello (Italian), Sairee Sairee (all western dishes), Greasy Spoon (English fry up), and Fitness Cafe (great healthy breakfast option)